The Carinthia Institute for Microelectronics (CIME) is a competence center for research and development of integrated electronic systems. CIME is strongly associated to the department of Integrated Systems and Circuits Design (ISCD) with a close network to other departments within the faculty of Engineering & IT at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences.
Integrated Circuits (ICs) became a key technology for modern electronic systems embedded in almost any application of our daily life ranging from data processing, telecommunications, medical electronics, automotive and power electronics to any kind of miniaturized sensing networks. The monolithic integration of billions of transistors on a single silicon chip with an area of a few cm2 enables nowadays reliable and cost-efficient electronic platforms with enormous computing and signal processing power for future electronics.
The research on integrated electronic circuits and systems is a well-established discipline at our institute, started in the early days of Carinthia University of Applied Sciences (CUAS). Since more than 20 years, our researchers are working on cooperative research funded by industry and national / European projects in the field of wireless and wireline communications as well as integrated sensor frontends.
CIME is intended to be a competent research partner, with strong alignment to industry needs and the clear focus on research excellence with international visibility. This is also based on the research of Josef Ressel Center “Interact” which was operated at CUAS until 2019. The required specific education and know-how exchange in the field of microelectronics is supported by the Master degree program “Integrated Systems and Circuits Design – ISCD” and PhD positions in cooperation with other Universities.
During past 10 years the microelectronics research group has successfully initiated and operated funded research projects with an overall budget volume for CUAS of approximately 5.5 M€
CIME can offer research expertise and support in the following fields of microelectronics
- RF and high-speed integrated circuits for wireless and wireline communication
- Analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits for sensor front-ends
- Embedded digital signal processing and application specific processors
- Modelling and design automation/generation of integrated electronic systems (eg. SystemC – AMS, System Verilog, Matlab, Python) and EM simulations with finite-element solvers
- System-on-chip design as well as System-in-Package integration
- Modern CAD environment with tape-out experience in most state-of-the-art IC technologies (CMOS 350nm, 180nm, 65nm and 28nm)
- Lab characterization of integrated circuits including PCB-design, chip assembly (wire-bonding) and IC needle-probing
CIME - Research
CIME is organized in three departments “RESPECT”, “RFFE-Lab” and “SIMS” focusing on different research topics. The “Research Lab for Radio Frequency Frontends” (RFFE-Lab) is a cooperative research lab, jointly operated with Silicon Austria Labs and co-located at CUAS. In May 2023 the official opening of the „JRZ for System-on-Chip Automation SODA“ will take place.“
Modelling and Design of Integrated Systems and Circuits
The research lab for “Modelling and Design of Integrated Systems and Circuits” at the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences is working on IC Design of IP building blocks, modelling of electronic systems and SoC design automation.
Radio Frequency Front-Ends
The “Radio Frequency Front-Ends Lab” is merging research on RFIC design, RFMW design and RF components. Miniaturization demands and increasing functionality of modern integrated communication devices are facing numbers of challenges.
Sensor Integrations in Mechatronics Systems
This research group will be an intensified, multi-disciplinary research collaboration with RESPECT (RF wireless) and CISMAT (Carinthia Institute of Smart Materials ) for Mechatronic sensor integration in the development of integrated wireless sensors and smart manufacturing/smart living.
Josef Ressel Centre for System-on-Chip Design Automation
This centre aims to research revolutionary new methods for the development of „system-on-chips“ in modern semiconductor technologies and to advance the automation of the development process of integrated circuits. – OPENING EVENT 23rd May 2023
Josef Ressel Center “Interact” – Archive (2014-2019)
Modern solutions of wireless RF systems require multi-standard multi-band functionality for future software defined radio and agile radio products (operated at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences (CUAS) from 2014 until 2019).
Johannes Sturm, Mehdi Moradian, Vinayak Hande, Wolfgang Scherr, Hubert Zangl, “Integrated Electronics for Capacitive Sensing in Collaborative Robotics”, Microelectronic Systems Symposium MESS22, Vienna, 2022.
Serkan Ergun, Vinayak Hande, Johannes Sturm and Hubert Zangl, “Collision Avoidance using Capacitive Proximity Sensors on Series Elastic Robots for Human-Robot Collaboration”, Austrian Robotics Workshop 2022, Villach, 2022, 10.13140/RG.2.2.34250.44482.
V. Hande, W. Scherr, M. Moradian, S. Reddy, O. Mikhail, H. Zangl, J. Sturm, „Novel Capacitance Sensing Measurement Technique for Human-Robot Co-existence,“ 2022 Austrochip Workshop on Microelectronics (Austrochip), Villach, Austria, 2022, pp. 9-12, doi: 10.1109/Austrochip56145.2022.9940820.
M. Akula, B. Subrahmanyam, S. S. Martin and J. Sturm, „A Tunable Bandwidth and Center Frequency 6-Path BPF with Improved 3 kth Harmonics Rejection,“ 2022 Austrochip Workshop on Microelectronics (Austrochip), Villach, Austria, 2022, pp. 21-24, doi: 10.1109/Austrochip56145.2022.9940755.
V. Irannejad, S. Barth and D. Oloumi, „Super-Compact, High-Performance Rat-Race Coupler for Sub-1 GHz 5G Applications,“ 2022 52nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Milan, Italy, 2022, pp. 636-639, doi: 10.23919/EuMC54642.2022.9924472
S.G. Picha, S. Sarafi, M. Köberle and J. Sturm, „An Investigation on The Optimum Termination for On-Chip Transmission Lines,“ 2021 29th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), 2021, pp. 1-4, https://doi.org/10.1109/TELFOR52709.2021.9653421
M. Akula, A. Kale and J. Sturm, „A Double-Balanced N-Phase Passive 3 × Sub-Harmonic Down-Conversion Mixer,“ 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), 2021, pp. 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCAS51556.2021.9401137
- M. Bio, H. Gietler, J. Plazonic, M. Ley, H. Zangl and W. Scherr, „Prototyping for a DDS-based I/Q reference signal generation on a capacitive sensing chip in 65nm CMOS using SystemC AMS, C HLS and VHDL,“ 2021 Austrochip Workshop on Microelectronics (Austrochip), 2021, pp. 37-40. https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip53290.2021.9576848
- P. Venuturupalli, S. M. Mahani, S. S. Martin, F. Kuttner and J. Sturm, „Exploiting Parasitics to Design a Flip-chip Integrated Transformer Based Matching Network,“ 2021 Austrochip Workshop on Microelectronics (Austrochip), 2021, pp. 33-36. https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip53290.2021.9576876
- Arash Ebrahimi Jarihani, Sahar Sarafi, Michael Koeberle, Johannes Sturm, Andrea M. Tonello, A 16 Gbps, Full-Duplex Transceiver over Lossy On-Chip Interconnects in 28 nm CMOS Technology, Electronics 2020, 9(5), 717; https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics9050717
- Pankaj Venuturupalli, Sina Mortezazadeh Mahani, Franz Kuttner, Santiago M. Sondon, and Johannes Sturm. Design Procedure for a mm- Wave Transformer Based Matching Network with Spurious Rejection. Proc. 28th Austrochip Conference, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip51129.2020.9232977
- Amin Hazrati Marangalou, Santiago M. Sondon, Ajinkya Kale, Johannes Sturm, Michael Gadringer, and Wolfgang Bosch. An On-Chip Analog Spectrum Analyzer Based on Miller Frequency Divider. Proc. 28th Austrochip Conference, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip51129.2020.9232977
- Sina Mortezazadeh Mahani, David Seebacher, Matteo Bassi, and Johannes Sturm. Comparison of Bandwidth Extension Methods for Doherty Power Ampliers for 5G. Proc. 28th Austrochip Conference, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip51129.2020.9232978
- Mudasir Bashir, Fatemeh Abbasi, Mirjana Videnovic Misic, Johannes Sturm, and Gernot Hueber. Performance Comparison of BAG and Custom Generated Analog Layout for Single-Tail Dynamic Comparator. Proc. 28th Austrochip Conference, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/Austrochip51129.2020.9232979
- Atefeh Kordzadeh, Dominik Holzmann, Alfred Binder, Thomas Moldaschl,
- Johannes Sturm and Ali Roshanghias, Miniaturized On-Chip NFC Antenna versus Screen-Printed Antenna for the Flexible Disposable Sensor Strips, IoT 2020, 1, 309–319; doi:10.3390/iot1020018 www.mdpi.com/journal/iot
- Wolfgang Scherr. SystemC-AMS ELN: the new way of generating macro models?, SystemC AMS & COSEDA User Group Meeting 2020, 4th November 2020, Dresden (online). https://www.coseda-tech.com/news-reader/coseda-user-group-meeting-2020
- Wolfgang Scherr, Karsten Einwich. Beyond real number modeling: Comparison of analog modeling approaches., Special Session Paper, IEEE Forum on Specification and Design Languages, 17th September 2020, Kiel; doi: 10.1109/FDL50818.2020.9232932
- Graciele Batistell, Sina Mortezazadeh Mahani, Suchendranath Popuri, Ajinkya Kale, Johannes Sturm and Wolfgang Bösch, Analysis of Common-mode Isolation on Transformer Based Balun, Proc. 27th Austrochip Conference, pp. 71-74, Vienna, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2019.00024
- Ram Ratnaker Reddy Bodha, Sahar Saraﬁ, Ajinkya Kale, Michael Köberle and Johannes Sturm, A Half-Rate Built-In Self-Test for High-Speed Serial Interface using a PRBS Generator and Checker, Proc. 27th Austrochip Conference, pp. 43-46, Vienna, 2019 DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2019.00019
- Arash Ebrahimi Jarihani, Sahar Saraﬁ, Michael Köberle, Johannes Sturm and Andrea M. Tonello, Characterization of On-Chip Interconnects: Case Study in 28 nm CMOS Technology, Proc. 27th Austrochip Conference, pp. 93-98, Vienna, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2019.00028
- Plattner, S. L. Lattacher, D. Krainer, J. Oberzaucher, G. Batistell, J. Sturm, Entwicklung drahtloser Sensorsysteme durch synergetische Nutzung interdisziplinärer sowie grundlagenorientierter Forschungskonzepte, e&i Elektrotech. Inftech., Springer Wien, (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00502-019-00777-6
- Ajinkya Kale, Graciele Batistell, Suchendranath Popuri, Vijaya Sankara Rao Pasupureddi, Wolfgang Boesch, Johannes Sturm, Integration Solutions for Reconfigurable Multi-Standard Wireless Transceivers, , e&i elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, Springer Wien, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00502-018-0595-6
- Ajinkya Kale, Johannes Sturm and Vijaya Sankara Rao Pasupureddi, 0.9 to 2.5 GHz Sub-sampling Receiver Architecture for Dynamically Reconfigurable SDR, IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI 2018), Hong Kong, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ISVLSI.2018.00065
- Abdelhamed Eldeeb, Graciele Batistell and Johannes Sturm, SCPA Transformer Based Matching Network Design Flow and SiP Implementation, Proc. 26th Austrochip Conference, Graz, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2018.8520704
- Ivan Sejc, Suchendranath Popuri and Johannes Sturm, Design of DAC Based RMS Power Detector for RF Application, Proc. 26th Austrochip Conference, Graz, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2018.8520707
- Graciele Batistell, Ajinkya Kale and Johannes Sturm, SCPA non-linearity Modelling and Analysis, International Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-wave Circuits (INMMiC 2018), France, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/INMMIC.2018.8429993
- Ajinkya Kale, Vijaya Sankara Rao Pasupureddi, Johannes Sturm, −40 dB EVM 20 MHz Subsampling Multi-Standard Receiver Architecture with Dynamic Carrier Detection, Bandwidth Estimation and EVM Optimization, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Wiley 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/cta.2601
- Ajinkya Kale, Suchendranath Popuri, Michael Koeberle, Johannes Sturm and Vijaya Sankara Rao Pasupureddi, A −40 dB EVM, 77 MHz Dual-Band Tunable Gain Sub-Sampling Receiver Front End in 65-nm CMOS, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TCSI.2018.2878342
- G. Batistell, T. Holzmann, S. Leuschner, A. Wolter, A Passamani, J.Sturm, SiP Solutions for Wireless Transceiver Impedance Matching Networks, Proc. European Microwave Conference, pp. 1069-1072, 2017
- A. Kale, S.Popuri, M.Koeberle, J. Sturm and V. S. R. Pasupureddi, Sub-sampling Receiver for IEEE 802.11ac, 5th Work-shop of the Radio Frequency Engineering Working Group of the Austrian Research Association, Vienna, Sept 2017.
- G. Batistell, J. Sturm and W. Boesch, CMOS Integrated Duplexer based on SIC for IoT Transceiver, in 5th Work-shop of the Radio Frequency Engineering Working Group of the Austrian Research Association, Vienna, Sept 2017.
- Popuri, V. S. R. Pasupureddi and J. Sturm, A Tunable Gain and Tunable Band Active Balun
- LNA for IEEE 802.11ac WLAN Receivers, Proc. 42nd European Solid-State Circuits Conference, Lausanne, pp.185-188, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ESSCIRC.2016.7598273
- Timo Holzmann, Graciele Batistell, Hermann Sterner and Johannes Sturm, Algorithms for De-embedding of RF Measurement Data for Balanced and Unbalanced Setups, Proc. 52nd Conference on Microelectronics, Devices and Materials (MIDEM), Slovenia, 2016
- Batistell, T. Holzmann, H. Sterner and J. Sturm, System-in-Package Matching Network for RF Wireless Transceivers, Proc. 24th Austrochip Conference, pp. 35-39,2016. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2016.018
- T. Renukaswamy, V. Pasupureddi and J. Sturm, Analysis and Design of Differential Feedback CG LNA Topologies for Low Voltage Multistandard Wireless Receivers, Proc. 24th Austrochip Conference, pp. 24-29, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2016.016
- Shetty, V. Pasupureddi and J. Sturm, A 2.4 GHz, 1 dB Noise Figure Common-Gate LNA for WLAN Frontend, Proc. 24th Telecommunications Forum TELFOR 2016, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/TELFOR.2016.7818863
- Kale, V. Sankara, R. Pasupureddi, and J. Sturm, Dynamically Reconfigurable Multiband Subsampling Receiver Architecture, 4th Workshop Radio Frequency Engineering Working Group of Austrian Research Association, Oct. 2016
- Popuri, V. Pasupureddi, and J. Sturm, A Tunable Gain and Tunable Band Active Balun LNA for IEEE 802.11ac WLAN Receivers, 4th Workshop Radio Frequency Engineering Working Group of Austrian Research Association, Oct. 2016
- Batistell and J. Sturm, System-in-Package Matching Network for RF Wireless Transceivers, 4th Workshop Radio Frequency Engineering Working Group of Austrian Research Association, Oct. 2016
- Drago Strle, Uroš Nahtigal, Graciele Batistell, Vincent Chi Zhang, Erwin Ofner, Andrea Fant, Johannes Sturm, Integrated High Resolution Digital Color Light Sensor in 130 nm CMOS Technology, MDPI Sensors, Vol. 15, Issue 7, pp. 17786-17807, July 2015. DOI: 10.3390/s150717786
- Sturm, S. Popuri, X. Xiang, A 65 nm CMOS resistive feedback noise canceling LNA with tunable bandpass from 4.6 to 5.8 GHz, Analog Integr. Circuits Signal Process., Springer, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10470-015-0658-0
- Aichholzer, J.Sturm, A 65nm CMOS RF Power Detector with Integrated Offset Storage, Proc. Austrochip Conference, 2009.
- Dali, J. Sturm, Design Of A Reconfigurable Gain Lownoise Amplifier For Multistandard Receivers In 65nm Technology, e&i elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, Springer Wien pp.78-85, 2010. DOI 10.1007/s00502-010-0725-2
- Dali, X. Wang, W. Aichholzer, J. Sturm, Wideband LNAs with Noise and Distortion Cancelation, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 27-31, 2010.
- Xinbo, J. Sturm, CMOS Active Resistor for RF Applications, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 37-41, 2010.
- Batistell, J. Sturm, Lateral Junction Color Detector in Standard CMOS Technology, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 109-113, 2010.
- Wang, W. Aichholzer, J. Sturm, A 0.1-4GHz Resistive Feedback LNA with Feedforward Noise and Distortion Cancelation”, Proc. 36th European Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 406-409, 2010. DOI: 10.1109/ESSCIRC.2010.5619729
- Shravan Kumar Kada, David Astrom, Johannes Sturm, Temperature and Process Compensated Oscillator in 0.13μm CMOS IC Technology, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 21-25, 2011.
- Matvey Geldin, Andrea Fant, Johannes Sturm, Second Order Effects in Multislope A/D Converters, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 11-15, 2011.
- Sturm, Reconfigurable CMOS RF-Frontends, IEEE Froum on Signal Processing for Radio Frequency Systems, 2011.
- Xiang, J. Sturm, Tunable Linear MOS Resistor for RF Applications, Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, 2012. DOI: 10.1109/SiRF.2012.6160119
- Xiang, J. Sturm, Performance Study of a 65nm CMOS Tuneable Gain LNA, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. 47-50, 2012.
- Xiao Wang, Johannes Sturm, Na Yan, Xi Tan, and Hao Min, 0.6–3-GHz Wideband Receiver RF Front-End With a Feedforward Noise and Distortion Cancellation Resistive-Feedback LNA, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 60, No. 2 , pp. 387-392, 2012. DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2011.2176138
- Sturm, X. Xinbo, H. Pretl, A 65nm CMOS Wide-band LNA with ContinuouslyTunable Gain from 0dB to 24dB, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems – ISCAS, pp. 733-736, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ISCAS.2013.6571951
- Batistell, J. Sturm, Filter-less Color Sensor in Standard CMOS Technology, Proc. 43th European Solid-State Device Research Conference – ESSDERC, pp. 123-126, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ESSDERC.2013.6818834
- Batistell, J. Sturm, Simulation and Implementation of a Filter-less CMOS Color Detector, Proc. 49th Conference on Microelectronics, Devices and Materials (MIDEM), pp. 167-172, 2013
- Batistell, J. Sturm, Standard CMOS Color Sensor based on laterally and vertically arranged photodiodes, Proc. Austrochip Conference, pp. ????, 2013.
- Sturm, M. Groinig, X. Xiang, Tunable Balun Low-Noise Amplifier in 65nm CMOS Technology, Radioengineering, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 319-327, April 2014. Corpus ID: 625807
- Batistell, V.C. Zhang, J. Sturm, Color recognition sensor in standard CMOS technology. Solid State Electronics, Vol. 102, pp. 59-68, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.sse.2014.06.002
- Sturm, G. Batistell, L.M. Faller, V.C. Zhang, Integrated CMOS Optical Sensor for Light Spectral Analysis, IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quantum Electron., Vol. 20, Issue: 6, Nov. 2014. DOI: 10.1109/JSTQE.2014.2344032
- Sturm, G. Batistell, Highly Integrated Low-Cost Color Sensors, Proc. 8. Forschungsforum der österreichischen Fachhochschulen, April 2014, ISBN: 978-3-9503491-9-1
- Batistell, J. Sturm, A. Fant, D. Strle, Color Sensor for Ambient Light Measurements in 130nm CMOS Technology, Proc. 50th Conference on Microelectronics, Devices and Materials (MIDEM), 2014
- C. Zhang, E. Ofner, Dušan Raič, J. Sturm, A. Fant, D. Strle, Decimation Filter and Tri-stimulus Colour Transformation for Ambient Colour Light Sensor, Proc. 50th Conference on Microelectronics, Devices and Materials (MIDEM), 2014
- Popuri, J. Sturm, A Wideband Resistive Feedback Balun LNA in 65 nm CMOS Technology, Proc. 22nd Austrochip Conference, pp. 59-62, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/Austrochip.2014.6946322
- Sturm, Monolithic Integrated Color Sensor in CMOS Nano Technologies, Proc. Int. Conference on functional Integrated Nanosystems – nanoFIS, Graz, 2014
- Sturm, S. Popuri, X. Xiang, CMOS Noise Canceling Balun LNA with Tunable Bandpass from 4.6 GHz to 5.8 GHz, Proc. 21st IEEE International Conference on Electronics Circuits and Systems, Marseille, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/ICECS.2014.7049927
Carinthia Institute for Microelectronics
Carinthia University of Applied Science
Europastrasse 4, 9500 Villach, Austria
Contact: Irene Terpetschnig, Mag.a
Partners & Cooperations
Graz University of Technology, Johannes Kepler University Linz, University of Klagenfurt,
Silicon Austria Labs, Joanneum Research
Infineon Technologies, NXP, Intel, Max Linear, EED Automation, eologix,